Friday 27 January 2012

Activities

As I mentioned in my first blog post I am involved in a lot of activities from skiing to guiding. They take up pretty much every day in the week excpet Friday. Friday is my one day to do my hobbies, work on school work harder than other days, go out with friends and whatever else needs to be done. So in case you don't remember below is the list of my activities.
  • Art Club
  • Debate Club
  • Guiding
  • Interact Club
  • Junior Achievement
  • Peace and Justice Club
  • Ski Team
  • Yearbook Club
Every Wednesday I head over to the local art gallery to participate in Art Club. I can't say I am particularly great at creating art, but I love to learn. As well, I have been raised to spend time in art galleries as it is a large part of our family. Due to this program I have been exhibited in the art gallery and earned a greater appreciation for an artists work. It is great to walk in each unsure of what exactly will happen and what will be created by the end of the session. It is both a rewarding and intersting pursuit.

Next up is debating club. This is something I started this year and have enjoyed quite a bit. It has definitely been quite the challange as it has caused me to come out of my shell and start public speaking without preparation. Last week was my second time ever debating and it went a whole lot better than the first. Hopefully as this progresses I will become better at debating.As well, debating may leed to even greater opportunities which would be quite exciting.

On every second Monday I join young woman from three different schools as we come together for Rnagers (a section of Guiding).Within this group we do all sort of different activities from volunteering to hanging out to learning how to knit. It is really a chance for each one of us to enjoy an hour and half without any boys or men in the area. I have been in guiding since I was kinderhgartden and thus have gotten quite involved within Guiding. Last year I joined the Ranger Council of Newfoundland and Labrador, after my friend suggested it, as the Eastern Coordinator. It has been quite the experience to meet these girls from across the the provincial and help in creating an experience for the Rangers of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Interact club is the next one. I started this last year and was voted in to be secretary this year. This is one the activities that I do during the week that involves a lot of volunteering. Nearly the whole year is spent raising awarness and money for different causes wether it be in the community, or around the globe. It is great to know that each week I am making a difference just by being involved in clubs such as this one.

Next is Junior Achievement, which I devote three hours a week doing. In Junior Achievement or JA we get together in groups and create a product. With this product, we aim to break-even and earn money. Many years that is not the case, but we try hard either way. This year I was voted in as president of my company. I enjoy learning how a business is run and why certain ventures are so important. Along with actually going to Junior Achievement each week, I have also had a couple of volunteer opportunities. Once I was on a panel discussing youth and employment. I also recieved the opportunity to announce the Business Hall of Fame inductees. This activities is not only fun and entertaining, but challenging and rewarding, just a few of the things that go into enjoy an activity to its upmost.

Another activity very close to me is the Peace and Justice club at my school. It is much the same as the interact club except that there is a very different group of people. This is my second year on Peace and Justice, and I decided to join it as it looked like a great chance to help those around the world. It has been exactly that! Each week I help my club achieve stupendous goals that reach around the world and back. As part of the executive this year I have had the opportunity to gain an in depth knowledge of what goes into running a club. It is one of my favorite activities of all of them.

My VERY favorite activity would be skiing. I have skied for many years now, 4 of which on the team. Each week I look forward to my ski training and seeing the ski team. It is a community unlike any I have seen before. I started skiing when I was quite small and living in Norway. Unfortunately there was a three and a half year break inbetween where I didn't ski thus I have had to relearn how. Everything about skiing appeals to me, the people, the activity itself, the fact that you don't get sweaty like running, everything!

The final activity that I do in my jam packed week is Yearbook club. This is my first year in Yearbook, and so far I am quite enjoying it. I has given me a chance to learn how to design pages and create a yearbook. I started this activity due to the fact that I was interested in the design process and how it all worked. It is definitely something I will keep doing as it is quite intersting.

Above are all my activities. Now these have deratically changed over the years. A few of the activities I used to do, but don't anymore are ballet, piano and cheerleading. These are the ones I have kept up as they are the one I have found most interesting. Who knows next year it might be completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment